Building/Facility Project

Contact us

Election Information

Forms and Applications

Frequently Asked Questions

Invasive Species

Meeting Minutes

Town Ordinances

Outdoor Recreation

Plan Commission

Property Tax Information

Wisconsin Road Conditions

Wisconsin Burning Restrictions



Frequently asked question: Do I need to keep my dog on a leash in the Town of Newbold?
Newbold Ordinance 10.03 defines "Public Nuisances" to include "All domestic animals running at large" under 10.03(6).  The generally accepted definition is that domestic animals must be under the control of the owner at all times.  When applied to dogs, there are several factors to consider.  A well trained and well behaved dog might never leave the owners yard and, when walking on public roadways, might consistently obey verbal commands to come, heal or sit.  In this situation, the animal does not run into traffic or harass pedestrians and could be considered "under control".  Other less trained animals might not be effectively controlled with verbal commands and, therefore, could pose a safety or harassment hazard to motorists or pedestrians.  Clearly, such animals would need the physical control of a leash.

Frequently Asked Question:        Why does the Town tear up roads one year, then wait until the following year to resurface those roads?
Answer:        When the reconditioning of a road includes modifying the road base, it is often best to allow that base to settle and compact over the winter before applying the final surface.  We acknowledge that a gravel road can be an inconvenience and we regret that inconvenience, but we make every effort to make sure your tax dollars are stretched as far as possible and that we get as much life out of our roads as we can.  Placing the finished surface on an improperly compacted base can significantly shorten the life of the road and increase maintenance costs.

Frequently Asked Question:        If it is necessary to let the road base settle over the winter, why do we have to wait until June to have our road surface finished?
        The Town of Newbold utilizes private contractors for major road reconstruction/resurfacing projects.  Since these contractors serve many municipalities, they must minimize their costs by grouping projects together by type and area.  This minimizes the expensive relocating of equipment between projects and, therefore, keeps the cost to the taxpayer down.  We do our best to get the work finished as soon as reasonably possible.

Frequently Asked Question:        What is “chipseal”?
            Chipseal is one of several different types of road surface and is one of the most commonly used surfaces on town roads in Northern Wisconsin.  Once a solid road base has been properly constructed, a layer of liquid asphalt is applied over the gravel and a single layer of stones, or “chips”, is distributed over the top of the road.  A second layer of liquid asphalt is applied over the first layer of asphalt and stone and another layer of chips is placed on that, making a double chipseal.  These chips are then sprayed with a thin emulsion that binds them together and seals the road against water.  Double chipseal is typically about half the cost of an asphalt surface.  Although an asphalt surface is usually 2-3 inches thick, we have found that paying twice as much doesn’t necessarily mean the road will last twice as long.

    We also use a single layer of chipseal as a maintenance process to protect existing pavement in much the same way that people sealcoat their driveway.  The stones (or chips) are there to keep the new asphalt from being worn off by traffic.

Frequently Asked Question:        Do I need a permit to use fireworks?
Answer:        As a simple rule of thumb, you need to obtain a permit from the Town Board for any fireworks that explode or leave the ground (fly).  The requirements to obtain a permit are explained in Town Ordinance 9.04(4), which states in part:

 USER’S PERMIT. As provided in §167.10(3), Wis. Stats., fireworks user’s permits may be issued by the Town Board. The Town Board shall require a certificate of liability insurance or similar proof of coverage in the amount of $1,000,000, naming the Town as co-insured. All fireworks displays shall be operated under the supervision of a pyrotechnics expert licensed by the State. A copy of the permit and proof of insurance shall be filed with the Town Clerk and copies of the permit shall be given to the Fire Chief and the Town Chairperson at least 2 days before the authorized use.